1. Personalized Web Desktop:
- The new DiskStation Manager Desktop is redesigned to provide an easy-to-use and intuitive user interface. The personal Desktop keeps users' applications and functions easily accessible. Besides, it's customizable so that users can change the wallpaper and background color on their own preference.
- Login style is introduced to provide users the alternatives with different login screens and the convenience of adding users' own recognition.
- Main menu is comprised of control panel and all applications, from which users can freely drag the icons to Desktop, or remove it at a later time. The application icons in main menu are available to users at all times.
- Control panel consolidates all system settings where users can easily modify both software and hardware settings. Home button on the navigation bar provides instant access back to the homepage of control panel.
- Help browser is added to provide direct access to a comprehensive library of all functions’ introduction and instructions. Home button on the navigation bar provides instant access back to the homepage of Help.
- Search field on both task bar and navigation bar on Control Panel helps users to look through applications or Help at the same time.
- Search field is added to task bar on User, Group, and Domain Privileges to assist admin locating the user accounts and group with ease and efficiency.
- Uploading queue on task bar provides quick information of the latest uploading tasks.
- File task monitor allows users to check the progress of all uploading and background tasks.
- System Information and Resource Monitor help users to track the health status of their DiskStations.
- Storage Manager is added to help users easily organize their hard drives and volumes, as well as iSCSI LUN and target.
- Backup and Restore is added to provide centralized management for all your ongoing backup tasks.
- Package Management allows users to quickly enable or disable any service provided by quick install applications packed and tested by Synology.
- Notification window on task bar alerts users when a background task is completed.
- Show Desktop button allow users to minimize all application windows to the task bar, and provides instant access to restore all running applications.
2. Multitasking: Users can run multiple applications simultaneously on Desktop and switch between them instantly. Multitasking support saves users from the constant wait of refreshing the whole webpage. All running applications are placed on the task bar.
3. File Browser:
- File Browser provides easy file navigation on Desktop.
- Drag-and-drop between two different file browsers to copy or move files is now supported and provides easy file management.
- File uploading in the background is supported therefore allows users to switch to another application without interrupting.
- File browser now replaces File Station of the default management UI port. File Station on the customized port remains the same.
- EXT4 file system is now supported to allow volumes with sizes up to 1 Exabyte and files with sizes up to 16 Terabytes.
- The number of subdirectories that a share folder can contain is up to 64,000.
5. Synology Time Backup: Synology Time Backup package is an add-on to Synology DSM 3.0 or later. It allows users to have a quick and flexible way to back up and restore shared folders on your DiskStation with multiple versions. Click here to download Synology Time Backup.
6. Linux Kernel: Linux Kernel is now upgraded to 2.6.32.
7. Windows Access Control List:
- Windows Access Control List (ACL) is now supported to enhance data security and the compatibility with Windows. Users can easily set up the Windows ACL privileges on share folders and files on DiskStation in a Windows environment.
- Allow access permissions to be granted or denied for every file object, providing much finer-grained access control and a greater degree of selectivity.
- 13 security attributes are supported to offer a variety of security levels.
- Windows ACL is only supported on EXT4 file system.
8. iSCSI Enhancements:
- LUN mapping support allows multiple LUNs to be mapped to each iSCSI Target.
- iSCSI Target masking support provides access control for each iSCSI initiators.
- Multiple iSCSI Connections per iSCSI Session (MC/S) support allows iSCSI initiator to use multiple connections for storing data to or fetching data from a Synology DiskStation to prevent single connection failure, it also provides load balancing.
- SPC-3 PR module is implemented to provide failover clustering support in Microsoft Windows Server 2008.
9. Surveillance Station 5:
- 254 more IP camera models from Sanyo, Toshiba, Cisco, Axis, Panasonic, AirLive, Messoa, TP-Link, Compro, Etrovision, and other brands are now supported. View the complete list here.
- ONVIF and PSIA support provides the compatibility between Surveillance Station 5 and ONVIF and PSIA compliant IP cameras.
- The whole user interface is revamped to provide easy navigation and easy-to-use user experience. Larger viewable area is available in Live View and Timeline.
- 25 channels & 36 channels layout are now added in Live View to offer users who utilize the centralized management on Surveillance Station with more options.
- A custom login port is added to provide users with independent access to Surveillance Station without logging into DSM.
- Non-sync mode in Timeline event player allows users to view events from up to 4 IP cameras simultaneously in a more efficient way.
- Time slicing is now added to Event Player to split the playing event into four equal-length clips to help users quickly glance through the whole event.
- Guard wizard is added to guide users through the process of setting up the patrol and Guard tasks with the IP cameras.
- Event filter is enhanced with new layout to help users locate the events within a timely fashion.
- Log filter is now added to help users quickly spot the log event they are looking for.
10. Audio Station Enhancements:
- Music playback for audio files in AAC, APE, AIFF, FLAC, WMA, and OGG formats is now available in streaming mode with WAV transcoders.
- Music playback for audio files in AAC, APE, AIFF, FLAC, WMA, and OGG formats is now available in streaming mode with MP3 transcoders.
11. File Station Enhancements:
- File operations including move, copy, and delete in the background is supported to allow users to continue their work without waiting.
- Upload files with size over 4GB is now supported with Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5 or onward.
12. Photo Station Enhancement: Google map function is enhanced, allowing browsing multiple locations where all the photos are taken within the same album if the geo-information is available.
13. iPhone App (Free download on AppleApp Store):
- DS photo is enhanced and renamed to DS photo+. It allows users to easily browse through photos and videos on Photo Station with the thumbnail slider on the go, including interactive with friends through the photo or video comments in real time. Users can easily find out the location where the photo is taken with the built-in Google map, and they can download and store the pictures onto their iPhone/iPod touch and enjoy the flashbacks anytime anywhere. In addition, users can upload photos and videos from their iPhone/iPod touch straight to Photo Station with DS photo+.
- DS audio is enhanced with the Remote control feature which provides intuitive interface to browse through Audio Station music tank, it allows users to remote control Audio Station music playing on the attached speakers conveniently. Users can now browse music by folders and genres, then able to play music in the background in iOS 4.
- DS cam now supports multitasking in Apple iOS 4 and H.264 in event playback.
14. Android Phone Applications (Free download on Google Android Market):
- DS cam allows users who own an Android phone to live view IP cameras managed on Surveillance Station, take snapshots, and view recorded events stored on their Surveillance Station whenever network connection is available.
- DS photo+ allows users who own an Android phone to easily browse through photos and videos on Photo Station with the thumbnail slider on the go, including interactive with friends through the photo or video comments in real time. Users can easily find out the location where the photo is taken with the built-in Google map, and they can download and store the pictures onto their Android phones and enjoy the flashbacks anytime anywhere. In addition, users can upload photos and videos from their Android phone straight to Photo Station with DS photo+.
- DS audio allows users who own an Android phone to stream their own music stored on DiskStation on the go. Besides, the Remote control feature provides intuitive interface to browse through Audio Station music tank, it allows users to remote control Audio Station music playing on the attached speakers conveniently.
15. WebDAV: Web-based Distribution Authoring and Versioning is added to allow users to manage and edit files on DiskStation remotely with the support of content metadata and overwrite protection. It helps a disperse group of users around the world work on the same project as a team, which will greatly increase the effectiveness of group collaboration.
- Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) and IPv4 networks are now both supported.
- IPv6 Tunnel is supported to encapsulate IPv6 packets for delivery across an IPv4 infrastructure.
17. PHP Enhancements:
- PHP management is now enhanced to allow users easily enable or disable PHP module individually.
- PHP modules added: eaccelerator, mcrypt, LDAP, and intl.
18. Power Schedule Enhancement: Multiple startup and shutdown schedule is now available with the new flexible power schedule design.
19. EZ-Internet Router Support1: More than 60 router models from Netgear, Buffalo, TP-Link, DrayTek, and other brands are now supported. View the complete list here.
20. Enhanced NFS Performance: The NFS upload performance is improved by a maximum of 43.14%2:. The test results are listed below:
Model DS710+ DS409+ DS410j
Max. Upload Improvement 43.14% 10.38% 24.02%
21. PHP Upgrade: PHP is upgraded to 5.3.2.
22. openSSL Upgrade: openSSL is upgraded to 1.0.0.
Data Replicator 3 (v.145) Enhancements:
1. (794) Enhanced Microsoft Office 2007 files sync backup.
2. (797) Enhanced sync backup option.
3. (796) Enhanced immediate backup functionality.
4. (792) Enhanced 8-bit character password handling.
It is highly recommended to always use the most recent driver version available.
Do not forget to check with our site as often as possible in order to stay updated on the latest drivers, software and games.
Try to set a system restore point before installing a device driver. This will help if you installed a wrong driver. Problems can arise when your hardware device is too old or not supported any longer.